The Nose Knows Class Portal
Hi Everyone, Welcome to the page where I will post any videos or handouts for this class. Thank you for joining me online!
Increasing duration of nose freeze to scent tin
Moving the tin onto the ground & approaching
Containers and Distractions (your movement)
Homework Assignment #1
Try the following exercises with your dog:
- Nose freeze to held scent tin - can your dog freeze for 1 second? 2 seconds?
- Can you set the tin on the ground and not have your dog interact with it? (Tip: mark early)
- Can you set the tin on the ground a little further away from you and have your dog approach it?
- Can your dog nose freeze to a scent container for 1 second? 2 seconds?
Starting interior searches
- As long as it is safe to do so, start by placing your tin where your dog will be able to touch his/her nose to it.
- It is important not to let your dog develop a habit of being destructive with the hide!
- Mark as soon as your dog's nose reaches the tin. Don't delay! We're working on searching, not freezing.
- You can start to make the hides less obvious than in the video, but make sure they remain accessible.
Homework Assignment #2
Let's see some video of your dog searching indoors!